Open for Worship, Prayer and Reflection
In the heart of Hobart, a beautiful neo-gothic building dedicated to the service of God…
Saint David’s Cathedral is the church of the Bishop of Tasmania’s episcopal chair (cathedra) and celebrates the good news of Jesus Christ to the diocese, the city and the state.
Built between 1868 and 1936 Saint David’s is widely regarded as the finest example outside England of the work of the leading Victorian architect, George F. Bodley.
In recent years the Cathedral has undergone restoration work with a new narthex, lighting scheme and restored stonework and floor.
The Cathedral is open daily as a sanctuary and oasis for people who frequent the inner city on a daily basis and for many visitors from overseas and interstate.
The Cathedral has numerous important World War 1 Memorials reminding us sacrifice in the past. In the Cathedral Cloisters Regimental Colours have been laid up. Details are here.
We have a living cathedral
From the Conserving St. David’s Pamphlet.
St David’s Cathedral is a Cathedral church. Consecrated in 1874 St David’s is the Bishop of Tasmania’s principal place of teaching. It is a Cathedral because it is the place where the Bishop’s Cathedra or seat is placed. It is also the venue for great occasions of Diocese, City and State.
The developing mission of St David’s is
Proclaiming Jesus as Lord in the Heart of Hobart
to build a community of living faith, profound hope and practical love.
The building sits on the Corner of Macquarie and Murray Street and forms one quadrant of the finest Georgian streetscape in Australia. On the pinnacles of each gable is a quatrefoil, repeated on the extremities of the large crucifix of the rood screen which dominates the sanctuary. The quatrefoil is reminiscent of the four points of the compass and reminds us that the Cathedral’s mission is a universal mission bringing the love of God in Christ to Hobart and far beyond.
The Cathedral is a living Church with music of the highest quality. The St David’s Choir offers sacred music both classical and contemporary in worship and in concert. The St David’s Organ, considered one of the superior organs of Australia, is played by quality organists. The acoustics and 650 seating capacity demand frequent concerts. Appearances of The Tasmanian Symphony Orchestra, Hobart City Band, massed military bands, the Royal Copenhagen Chapel Choir and the Sydney Brass Quintet have been features in recent times.
St David’s is known for its contemporary Anglican liturgy. Linked with England’s Coventry Cathedral, the Dean and associate clergy are committed to creative liturgies that lift the heart and proclaim Biblical faith. Our society, increasingly dissatisfied with a purely materialistic world view, seeks a sense of the transcendent and apprehension of a living spirituality.
This desire for a living spirituality is reflected in the Cathedral’s commitment to serve the City, State and community. In services from those for the Opening of Law Term, the Opening of Parliament, Battle of Britain, ANZAC Day, Hutchins and Collegiate Schools and as a venue for State Secondary and Senior Secondary Schools the tranquillity and peace is often suspended with laughter, tears and memories.
The Memorial Service for the Port Arthur Tragedy is remembered in the Hope Chapel. And the memorial to the last Anzac Alexander Campbell (died on the 16th May 2002, aged 103) who was buried from the Cathedral is a place of pilgrimage.
For about 250 Hobart Anglicans St David’s is their City Church. Here they come for worship, to link in with a faith community, to learn from the Bible of the love and grace of God and to equip them as servants of Christ to serve Him in Church and community. The values taught are those of Christ – peace, justice, freedom of the oppressed, relief from poverty, good stewardship of the creation and the value of life.
Above all the Cathedral proclaims the Living God who is rich in mercy.