In 1932 a Canterbury Cross carved from stone pieces from Canterbury Cathedral, UK, was sent to every Anglican Cathedral in the world as an expression of unity. Canterbury is the spiritual home of the Anglican Communion. The Canterbury Cross at St. David’s was stolen in the mid 1950’s and so that symbolic connection was broken.
The Dean of Hobart, The Very Rev’d Richard Humphrey, when visiting Canterbury in 2012 mentioned this loss to a member of staff who suggested asking for a new one. Canterbury Cathedral was happy to provide a cross although it would take time and transport would need to be arranged.
Three years on and the cross was ready. The Dean happened to mention this to Graham Reeve, a Qantas pilot, who volunteered, with Qantas agreement, to pick it up and deliver it.
So in late January the Canterbury Cross was entrusted to Graham by the Dean of Canterbury, The Very Rev’d Dr Robert Willis, in the presence of The Most Reverend Philip Freier, Anglican Primate of Australia, and former Cathedral staff The Rev’ds Will & Gill Briggs. Graham will present the cross to the Dean this Sunday (January 31st) at 9.45am and then to the congregation of the Cathedral in the 10am service.
The Dean of Hobart commented “There is no greater symbol of unity in the Christian Church than the Cross of Jesus so we are grateful for the gift of a Canterbury Cross and the generosity of those who have enabled us to receive it.”
(In the picture above you can also see the section of Canterbury Cathedral where the stone was removed from before being sculpted.)